Berkeley Castle (9 miles / 14.5 km) - This ancient 12th century castle has been preserved and gradually transformed from an imposing Norman fortress to a stately home containing numerous treasures; including tapestries, furniture, silver, porcelain and paintings by English and Dutch masters.
Edward Jenner Museum (9 miles / 14.5 km) - detailing the life and work of the man who discovered both a cure for smallpox and the benefits of immunology. the man and his work. The museum is accommodated in Jenner's home, and much of it remains preserved from his days there.
Slimbridge Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust (14 miles / 22.5 km) - a world-renowned reserve for waterbirds set in 120 acres. A multi-million pound visitor centre houses a wildlife art gallery, The Hanson Discovery Centre, the Waterside Restaurant, a cinema and the Sloane Observation Tower. Wild swans from Russia come every winter and 6 types of flamingos visit in the summer.
From the East:
- Proceed along the M4.
- Follow signs for M5 south to junction 16.
- Follow directions for Thornbury via the A38.
- The Golf Centre is sign-posted left at the traffic lights next to Berkeley Vale Motors.
- Travel along the B4061 for approximately one mile (1.6 km).
- The centre is on the left.
- Proceed along the M48 to the junction of the M5.
- Follow signs for M5 south, then see directions for "From the East".
From the North:
- Exit the M5 at junction 14 and follow signs for Thornbury A38.
- Proceed along the A38 for 5 miles (8 km).
- At the traffic lights (Berkeley Vale Motors) turn right along the B4061.
- Thornbury Golf Centre is a mile (1.6 km) down the road on the left.